Sister M. Declan Fahy was the founder Cluny Women's College of Kalimpong.She was born in Roo, Craughwell, Co. Galway on 24th July 1936 of a very religious Irish couple Mr. Peter Fahy and Mrs. Minnie Fahy. Out of twelve children, this staunch catholic family gave to the church a priest, and a Christian Brother.
Had her education in the Sisters of Mercy, Loughrea, County Galway, Ireland. and graduated from St. Joseph’s College, North Point and Post Graduated Galway, Ireland.
She had her Spiritual training at The Carmelite Fathers, Loughrea, County Galway, The Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny Ireland and the Province of North India and Nepal.
She had authored a series of books for school children.
After her studies she worked for one and a half years in Galway. Her search for truth and destiny began from childhood, and continued and knew instinctively that something Divine had
transformed her entire life. She responded to that Divine call and joined the Novitiate at Ferban on 8th September 1954. She made her first Profession on 19th March 1957 at Gallen
priory, Ferban Co. Offaly at the age of twenty-one.
In April 1957 she left Dublin air port for India with Sr. Helena Egan on her new and beautiful mission. She received her B.A. degree from St. Joseph’s College North Point Darjeeling in 1961
and in the same year she was sent to St. Joseph’s Convent School Chandanagore, Calcutta.
In 1967 she left India for London to pursue her higher studies.
After completing her studies she came back to Chandanagore and resumed her teaching career. In the first week of April 1971 she was sent to St. Joseph’s Convent Kalimpong to continue teaching which included taking charge of games and sports. In January 1982, she was requested to go to St. Anne’s Convent and
St. Philomena’s School. She loved the staff and the students very deeply, they reciprocated, and under the wonderful guidance and unfailing love of Sr. Teresa Rai, the then Headmistress
of St. Philomena’s, she experienced miracles daily. This beautiful mission continued up to 1997.
Her stepping into the hills of Kalimpong was a blessing in disguise for the people of Kalimpong. Her selfless “yes” was visible when former Provincial Sr. Teresa Rai entrusted the work of founding Cluny Women’s College for the less privileged girls of the locality in 1998. Keeping all her trust and confidence in God, she accepted this challenge boldly. On 8th July 2005, through her genuine initiative and compassion Cluny Community
College was established for the less privileged drop out boys and girls of the locality.
She went to Ireland for her home holidays in 2011. From the time Sr. Declan came back she hadn’t been keeping too well. She approached her end rather too quickly on 12th Feb. 2012 at
Dr. Chang’s nursing home in Siliguri. Her mortal remains were brought to Kalimpong the same day to Nitya Sahayika Niwas her “home”.